Monday, March 31, 2008

Kara's Exciting Weekend

I had an exciting weekend, and I simply had to share!





First of all, I chopped off my hair!




Second, I bought a snowboard! Didn't see that one coming did you? Well, neither did I! The story goes that Scott and I were browsing through the local thrift store when we happened upon what I thought was a really sweet-looking board. It had artwork that was reminiscent of "The Little Prince," my favorite book.



Since I've been wanting a snowboard for a few years now, I whimsically picked it up to see if it was the right size. It came up to my chin: just about the perfect size.




Then I looked, and in a rack nearby I saw some cute snowboarding boots!



They were size seven, but when I tried them on they didn't seem too loose. They were K2 boots; Scott informed me that this was a really good brand. I was slightly concerned because the board had traditional strap bindings whereas the boots were step-in, but I couldn't feel the metal bits at the bottom of the boot when I wore them strapped into the board, so I didn't think it was a problem. We called a friend of ours who had just bought a snowboard and boots, and he told us what to look for in a board. Apparently, this one was in good condition -- no huge gouges or anything along those lines. It was solid, yet flexible, and the bindings were in excellent shape.

It was a match made in heaven. Not only was everything in good condition and the right size, but I really LIKED the look of the board & boots. And here's the clincher: between the boots and the board I spent a grand sum of $25!

Thursday morning I will be taking my new board in to REI to be waxed, edge-sharpened, and adjusted. I think I will also get something to help my $10 K2 boots fit better. Apparently, there are devices such as "butterflies," "tongue pads," and "ankle straps" which will help keep my heel from slipping up when I'm on my tip-toes. Then this weekend we're hitting the slopes (and doubtless I'll spend most of the day on my butt)! Woopie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara,
Congrats on the board! What a steal! How was your first outting? Scott and I took up snowboarding this year and it made winter in VT so much more tolerable! We used your dad's hill quite a bit, the perfect place to learn bc you can sooth all your bruises in the hot tub afterward!

I really want your cat, he's way too cute. Can you bring him next time you come home? Just kidding...take care and hope to see you soon! Anna